Say What? Archive
What a long, strange strip it's been
Welcome to the Doonesbury Say What? Archive
January 30, 2012"I actually think the right independent could win... It's not something I want to do... But if I don't see a person that, number one, is going to win -- that's tantamount -- I would certainly think about doing it after the show ends... I hope I don't have to. But I may -- absolutely. The number one thing for me is this country. Our country is in a lot of trouble. So I may. I hope I don't have to."
– Donald Trump, putting the country on notice
January 28, 2012"If murderers (and I would include abortionists, rapist, and kidnappers, as well) are actually executed, it will at least have the deterrent effect upon them. For my money, we should go back to public hangings."
– state Rep. Larry Pittman, in email to entire NC General Assembly
January 27, 2012"For me to be standing here in the final four is about as amazing a thing that I could have ever conceived of happening."
– Rick Santorum
January 25, 2012"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love."
– Mitt Romney in stump speech
January 24, 2012"Uniformly ignores the Constitution... Thinks he's above the law and can do whatever he wants to do... I'm sure our Founders would be spinning in their graves knowing how he was conducting himself as president."
– Rick Santorum on Obama
January 23, 2012"Not very much."
– Mitt Romney on how much he makes in speaking fees, which totaled over $374,000 in a recent 12-month period
January 20, 2012"You're right. I think grandiose thoughts. This is a grandiose country."
– Newt Gingrich, in Thursday debate"GRANDIOSE: characterized by affectation of grandeur or splendor or by absurd exaggeration."
– Merriam Webster
January 20, 2012"I'll release those on April 15th, and the reason is very simple: I want to beat Barack Obama. I don't want to give the Democrats a nice little present of having multiple releases. We're going to have one release."
– Mitt Romney on his tax returns
January 20, 2012"Not very much."
– Mitt Romney, on how much he makes in speaking fees, which totaled over $374,000 in a recent 12-month period
January 19, 2012"I've never quit a day in my life. I've never quit in the face of adversity, and I'm not just about to quit on the future of America. I'm going to stay in this race and stay in this fight because our children and this country are worth the fight."
– Rick Perry, on Tuesday"Today I am suspending my campaign."
– Rick Perry, today